WAYS FOR YOU TO GET INVOLVED:
Why should a parent get involved?
- Higher grades and test scores of students
- Better attitudes and behavior of students
- Better school attendance
- More homework completed and homework done on time
- Greater likelihood of graduating from high school
- Better chance of enrolling in post secondary education
How do I get involved in my child's education?
Make school important.
- Be sure your child gets to school on time.
- Talk to your child about the benefits of education.
- Speak positively about teachers and the school.
- Attend open houses, conferences, and programs
- Answer notes and calls from the teacher
- Check your child's planner each day
- Check your child's online grades
Encourage reading and writing.
- Keep books, magazines, and newspapers at home
- Take your child to the library & give books as gifts
- Read with your child. (Even older children enjoy this
- Show an interest in & discuss what your child reads
- Encourage your child to write notes to relatives and friends
- Suggest that your child keep a journal or a diary
What can I do at home to help my child?
- Make sure your child arrives to school well-rested.
- Make sure your child has a good breakfast before school
- Set a regular time and quiet place for homework to be completed
- Ask about your child's school day, interests, and friends
- Limit and monitor TV, computer, phone, and game time
- Set high, but reasonable expectations and goals
- Praise and encourage your child--Celebrate your child's successes
- Expect your child to take responsibility for words and actions
- Turn ordinary time together into teachable moments
- Do things as a family--make wonderful memories
What can I do at school to help encourage success?
- Attend back-to-school nights, open houses, and school programs
- Read the school newsletter and take part in school events
- Join our PTO (Parent-Teacher Organization)
- Support your child in school activities--Be encouraging
- Open communication between home and school
- Get to know your child's teachers/administrators
- Submit the school volunteer sheet given on the website or newsletter
- Offer to call other parents to notify them of school events
- Welcome new families into our school community and offer yourself as a resource person